Thursday, August 16, 2007

Proposal Pressure

My proposal is due in two weeks and I'm feeling the pressure. I don't know why the first three chapters are so hard for me, but it's plain torture even though I love this story and the characters. I'm on Chapter 2. The prologue and Chapter 1 are with my critique partner. So what did I do last night instead of write? Go climbing. What am I doing tonight? Climbing again.

Remember that lack of discipline I've written about before? Yes, I'm pathetic. But I can't help it. I really do enjoy climbing.

But I think it's really a symptom of summer. My lack of discipline gets worse with the kids home, the sun out and so much fun to be had. Add in vacations and deadlines from June to August are just really hard.

I've been thinking about this whole summer concept and have come to a conclusion. Year round schooling makes a whole lot of sense to me. I'd much rather have the kidlets get a few weeks off throughout the year. Some school districts have implemented this, and I don't know why this concept has taken off. Kids lose so much retention during their summer months off. Granted I could see child care issues for working parents, but if all schools were doing I'm sure some enterprising childcare providers would come up with something.

Think about the vacation aspect. In summer, popular vacation places raise prices and you have to fight crowds. If you like winter sports like us, you're stuck going during Christmas vacation (when prices are outrageous) or pulling kids out of school if you want more than a weekend on the slopes.

And finally, I can't ignore the deadline aspect. Working around a few weeks off would be much easier to manage than a couple months off. What do you think about year round schooling?