Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Some R&R

Here's the tally for Monday:

New pages written: 0 (goal: 6.4 pages)
Old pages revised on paper: 17
Pages of revisions typed in: 0
Pages lost or gained due to revisions: 0
Total page count to date: 144 (goal: 200 pages)
Days remaining until D-day: 29

Emails from editor in UK: 0
Emails from agent in NY: 0

Chocolate consumed: donut, ice cream
Junk food consumed: none
Exercise: piggy-back rides for Rose up and down the stairs and around apt.
Television watched: Blues Clues
Pictures of Hayden downloaded: none
Tears: a couple in the a.m.
Weight loss: 2 lbs

A little rest and relaxation was just what my brain and body needed. I might take care of my kids and make sure they get enough sleep, food and attention, but I forget about myself. Being on deadline just makes it worse. So I revised rather than wrote. I chatted with friends. And the kids and I had a delicious dinner at a friend's house. My friend is a writer and is interning at Hip Mama, a Portland-based magazine, so we had lots to discuss and she made me feel so much better.

I now realize why LauraP had scheduled weekends off in her writing plan for me. You need some sort of break. I need to figure out what the best days for a break will be and how to work this in. Maybe no writing only revising for two days a week. I've got to be careful not to overdo it (when I swallow it hurts, so that is not a good sign), but I must get the book written (which means even if I get sick again I must keep at it.) This time next month the manuscript will be in London. Can you guess what I'll be doing?