Saturday, May 03, 2008

A Big Day!

My son Finn makes his First Holy Communion today! He's very excited. And rightly so. It's not only a big day, but a joyous one!

Yesterday, he wore his brand new (and first!) suit for his picture. He got to put it on twice. Once for his individual picture, then again for the group picture. It's black and he looks so handsome in it. (And too grown up. I felt a pang in my heart looking at him.) Hubby bought him a white shirt, and I'd picked up a white tie for the special occasion.

I managed to get everything done I needed to do yesterday. A lot of running around. I also got my hair cut. It's much...I guess the right word would be...hipper. Maybe trendier. It's an A-line. Longer in the front than in the back. When Rose saw me, she said I looked like a big sister. The ultimate compliment from a 5 year old. I'll be honest, I'd rather look like a big sister than a mom. I was getting tired of the blah-bad-hair days as well as my attempt to avoid those with ponytails. It was really nice to get compliments on my hair last night at church. That never happens. The question will be if I can make it look as good as the stylist did. Fingers crossed.

We managed a family movie night after Communion rehearsal and a potluck dinner for all the families. We watched The Bee Movie. We'd never seen it and Finn had asked for it for his birthday. It was a funny movie. We all laughed.

Okay, here's a rundown on the First Communion:

• Finn will be the first to receive communion based on where we got seated last night. He's psyched about that.

• Here's what I did for the favors: Organza favor bags from The Dollar Tree ($1 for six, glow in the dark rosaries (only 29 cents each) from the Catholic store and Hershey kisses. They were inexpensive, but look nice. I put them in the basket we'd won at the Irish Dance recital. Thanks for the suggestions.

• I gave the chef a list of Finn's fave food and she came up with the following dinner menu:
Appetizers
Mini Cheese Pizza
Smoked Salmon Lollipops
Pepperoni Pinwheels
Balsamic Strawberry Brie en Croute with Crackers

Buffet
Organic Greens with Strawberries and Sweet & Sour Poppyseed Dressing
Bread with Olive Oil and Butter
Brown Butter Corn
Potatoes Anna
Small Baked Potatoes
Roasted Asparagus
Baked Salmon
Balsamic Marianted Flat Iron Steak (served sliced)
Chocolate Fondue with fruit, pound cake, and marshmallows

Beverages
Strawberry Lemonade
Iced Tea
Beer and Wine
Coffee and Hot Tea

• We'll also be having cake, chocolate with fudge filling and white buttercream icing on top, that I need to pick up this afternoon. It has a really nice First Communion theme with a chalice, rosary and host.

So now we just have to get through Little League team pictures, a baseball game and those last minute things!

Hope you have a great day! I'm really looking forward to mine.