Tuesday, November 02, 2010

RIP Joe Puryear

Back in this blog post from 2009, I mentioned two alpinists whose blogs I read. One of these climbers Joe Puryear was killed last week in the Himalayas.

Joe was a very close friend of Mark Westman, who came to my rescue when I was writing Rescued by the Magic of Christmas. If you've been a long-time reader of my blog, you might remember me meeting Mark at the Portland Ice Festival in 2007 where I asked him if he'd mind answering a few questions for a book. A few questions turned into a lot, and I will be forever grateful to Mark for sharing his views and insights with me. He is interviewed in the following NBC clip about Joe:



Joe's family and friends are trying to raise money to bring him home. If you're interested in donating to the effort or just want to read more about the expedition he was on, go here. There's a touching entry titled Final Post written by Joe's wife, Michelle, I suggest you read.

I didn't know Joe, but I wish I had. I'd thank him for sharing his adventures and giving us a peek into what being one of America's top climbers is all about. His blog, trip reports and photography really inspired me, both as a climber and romance writer. I still dream about Alpine climbing, and you know I'm always on the lookout for potential hero occupations/models.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who knew and loved Joe.