Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tails and tales

Too funny! This picture reminds me so much of this. I'd woken up one morning to find Smalls' tail across my eyes like a sleeping mask.

We received the nicest sympathy card from the Smalls' vet. They must have heard from the emergency vet hospital. It included a tear off bookmark with the Rainbow Bridge Poem on it. Bailey, who sometime comments on this blog and I was fortunate to meet at RWA Dallas a few years ago, suggested I share that poem with the girls. I did, and it really helped, Rose especially. She keeps forgetting that Smalls isn't coming back and I've found her looking for her.

I think part of the reason this came as such a shock go us was that Smalls had had a full blood work up done during an exam in mid-March. The vet couldn't believe how healthy Smalls was given her age (which was more of a range then 15+.) But the hospital doctor did say this comes on suddenly. And I suppose with an old cat, you can never fully know what's going on inside of them.

Finn has mentioned more than once that he said bye to Smalls when he left to go camping, but that he never got to say a final goodbye. I think we'll need do some sort of ceremony as a commenter mentioned on yesterday's post to give him some closure.

Speaking of ashes, I received a call toady saying she'd been cremated and that I could pick up her ashes. I'd spoken to someone else there who offered to have the ashes transported to the pet hospital which is closer to me. When I mentioned that, he said he'd check then came back on the line and said he couldn't find Smalls. She hadn't been taken with today's deliver, but wasn't there, either. Wherever "there" is. I was starting to freak out a bit. He told me he'd call back, but didn't. I gave him two hours then called. Thankfully her ashes had been located.

On the good news side of things, my son had his cast removed. He's now wearing a removable brace. He can swim and play soccer again! He's so psyched. Just in time as the fall seasons will be starting soon.

I also got some words written. It's been a struggle to finish my latest tale, and I've fallen behind on my word count. No doubt the emotions as well as the fact one of my constant writing companions is missing. But Spirit has been extra attentive no matter what time of day and night. If my computer is open, she's within arms reach or touching me. That's helped a lot.

I've been very self-absorbed this week. What's been going on with you? Please fill me in!