Sunday, September 04, 2011

Do Over

funny pictures - I prefer 3-ply, btw...
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

I feel like there are some weekends when I could just paste the same blog over and over again. This is one of them. No sports, but dogs. Mackenna is competing at a dog show again with Chaos and Astra (who belongs to another family) and I'm at home writing.

I'm really trying to get the book finished. It's due the 19th, but I want a decent complete by the 10th. Something I'm doing a little differently this time is polishing more as I go. I'm a draft writer, but needed to switch it up a little bit due to still missing Smalls. Not sure it's working, but at least I'm getting words on the page. Which is more than I could say a few days ago. It's hard to believe it'll be two weeks tonight.

Jack the Cat who I wrote about earlier in the week is still missing. It looks like he's out of the baggage claim area and roaming the JFK vicinity. If you live around there, keep your eyes peeled for this gorgeous boy. I'm sure his mommy is frantic with worry.

Also if you live in the area and have time to help, they put out a call for volunteers. They are searching the area and passing out flyers. And if you're too far away, but would still like to help, they could use assistance emailing and faxing flyers to businesses. Just check the link which if Jack's Facebook page.  You'll need to click on the "Jack the Cat is Missing ..."  rather than seeing everyone's post so you can find the callout for help.  Thanks!

From Jack's Facebook page, I found another page that has just broken my heart. It's called Pets on Death Row (PODR).  Just the title probably tells you this is not a page I should visit, right? Hubby told me not to go there again after I got so upset over one kitty.

Here's how it works. Each night (leaving very little time for rescues to find foster and adoptive homes) an e-list is released and posted of cats who will be destroyed the next day at New York City's Animal Care & Control (ACC). They  have sites in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island.  PODR posts pictures and a little info about each of the cats who will be put to sleep the next day. From what I hear, they start the killing early so you really have to be on top of things and have it all set by early that morning if you want to save a cat.

If you read my author/books page on Facebook, you've heard about this already. I fell hard for one of the cats on Thursday night's list. His name was Ty and his owner had given him up for adoption.

Poor Ty was only in the ACC a couple of days before he was put on the To Be Destroyed list. They said he had behavior issues, but if you read what the owner wrote, he said it takes the cat time to warm up to someone. The picture of Ty in his collar with his toy mouse just breaks my heart. I just wanted to hold him tight and not let go.

A guy named Jim, who'd just adopted three death row cats the day before, made a valiant effort, but it was a day too late. He rode his bike to Brooklyn on Saturday to try to adopt him,  but he didn't even know if Ty was even alive then. The ACC told him that Ty wasn't available, but wouldn't give a reason. Yesterday a NYC cat rescue group person confirmed what we all feared. Ty had been put to sleep.

It's so sad.  I pledged money toward his rescue as did others.  If you go to Ty's thread on PODR, you can see how many people he touched. It's too bad we failed and couldn't save him. We'd raised enough to cover his fees, but we had no where for him to go.

I thought about adopting him myself, but I didn't know whether I could find a rescue group who would send him to me out west. I should have at least tried to see if it was possible. If I could go back to Thursday evening, exhausted as I was, I would stay up all night and figure out a way to get him and his mousy to me no matter what it cost. I just hope now he's no longer so frightened and he's playing with my Smalls at the Rainbow Bridge.

Please, for Ty and all the other furbabies out there, if you know people in NYC who need to surrender their cats for whatever reason, please tell them to find a rescue group or other pet sanctuary/shelter and avoid the ACC.  There are other options out there, especially if they don't want their pets to end up dead like Ty.