Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RWA NYC Day 1

I'll catch up with the vacation later, but I didn't want to fall too behind with the conference. Yesterday I said goodbye to my family. They are out on Long Island with hubby's mom. They were so excited to see Grammy.

I took a taxi to the Marriott Marquis. This was my first taxi ride of the trip. I love using the bus and subway system, but not with luggage! There were no lines at check-in so before I knew it I was unpacked and picking up my registration info from RWA.

So the coolest thing in the reg. package was the green ribbon that says RITA finalist. I probably won't take off my nametag for a couple of days! LOL!

So the view from my room is incredible. The pic was taken from my room. We can see Times Square and all the billboards. It's so bright we have to make sure the curtains are completely closed.

I was a little tired from all the sightseeing and kidlets so decided to have a quiet lunch in the Atrium. I sat at a table for two. Immediately the woman sitting next to me asked if I was a writer. Turns out it was historical romance author Kieran Kramer. She's a double RITA finalist. I'd actually emailed her a few months back about her romance trading cards. Small world.

Then my friend Elizabeth Boyle, her oldest son and her agent, Karen Solemn, showed up. Nick and I sat and talked while his mom chatted with her agent. I'd suggested they ride THE BEAST and they did. It was fun to listen to him describe it.

After that I went to the Harlequin digital workshop to learn how to use social media. I got a quick lesson in Tweetdeck. Then it was off to the goodie room to pick up promo stuff. After that I rested in my room.

The literacy booksigning was jam-packed. People stood outside in a line that wrapped around. At one point we (authors) were asked if we'd stay longer.
 The literacy signing is great because people can come around to see you. I had people from the foreign offices of Harlequin stop by including Sweden, who said they publish many of my books, and Eastern Europe. That was very cool. I also met readers who said the follow me on Twitter.

I handed out some of my Romance Trading Cards. The one with the kitten drew many comments. Seeing it made me really miss
Yoda. Our house/cat sitter said that Yoda is being very shy. Poor kitty!

After the signing, I headed up to a suite for the annual gathering of Romex, an online group I've belonged to since 1995 or 1996. We hugged and chatted. Not a lot of catching up to do since we do that online, but it was so wonderful to see people in person. They also handed out awards. I received lightening bolts for writing complete books in less than 100 days!

It took me awhile to make my way out of the suite so I could get back to my room. I had to hear about Barbara O'Neal and Christie Ridgeway's trip to Staten Island to eat at a little restaurant run by Italian grandmothers. But I finally made it to my room. Of course, by then my roommate was sound asleep. When I woke up this morning, she was already gone!

So that was my first day at conference. Ready to head down now for Day #2!