Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wednesday Woes

The Plan is not working. Granted, I exceeded my weekly page goal last week by one page, but that's only because I'd already drafted the prologue. So far no new pages this week and it's already Wednesday. I must get on it!

Yesterday afternoon, I went climbing. Well, really I just practiced my footwork. One of the guys stopped by for a few minutes and he answered a couple of questions I had and reminded me to take off my rings, then he went down to climb the cliffs. I'm not there yet. I'm not sure when I'll be ready for that. Still I had fun and can't wait to get out there again.

The good thing is I can do the easy traverse with only using one hand for balance. The bad thing is when I went to the lower traverse and actually had to try hand holds, it was really, really hard. Much harder than gym climbing. I could get about two feet or so then I'd fall. After scraping a knee on the way down, I stopped going up as high. Of course, that made it harder since there weren't as many good holds down lower.

I met a woman, Karen, who was doing the same traverse, but was a million times better than me. She's been climbing since '98 and was very helpful and encouraging. Once I'd scraped up my fingers and had aching muscles though, I stopped. I didn't realize how hard I'd worked until I sat in the car and went to take off my shoes. I really felt like I'd had a workout. I have a feeling if I ever make the full traverse, it'll be time to pop open a bottle of bubbly!

Today is the last day of preschool for my youngest. I need to make her a lunch and meet her for the end of school picnic. Then the two of us will head up to Mount Hood to pick up our climber friend. Guess last night was really windy up on the hill. He's ready to come down. And then it's back to the routine. Pick up kids, piano, dinner, etc.

My Wednesdays never seem to change. Always busy no matter what. Even when I lose something off the schedule (like the class I teach) other things take its place. I thought I was being smart by making one day a week when I schedule everything for. Now I'm not so sure that was the best strategy and am rethinking it. Do you spread things out over the week or do everything on one day?