Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Plan

I'm developing a brand new appreciation for the hubby. I've always been grateful for all his help. We're definitely a team that doesn't split household/child duties in a traditional way. But he hasn't had to travel much in the last few years and now I realize just how much I rely on his help. Trying to do it all myself this week is completely exhausting with three kids, three cats and a 3000 square foot house. By the time evening rolls around I'm exhausted! Forget about trying to write.

Knowing this is my new life since hubby took a new position at his company that will require travel, I have decided to implement The Plan. This was shared to me by historical romance author and friend Elizabeth Boyle .

Yesterday while sitting at the Irish dance studio for two hours, I made The Plan for my next book, Christmas on the Mountain (working title). I was way conservative as I filled in the Excel Spreadsheet that Elizabeth had sent me. I cut back on my daily page goal, especially with summer rolling around. I put in everything I could think of that would keep me from writing.

And when I finished, I had my first writing plan. If I do this, the December book would be done the first week of November, allowing me 3 weeks of revision time. The one thing I didn't put into the plan were revisions for the book I just turned in and galleys for that same book, but with three weeks revision time that gives me some padding. And a few weeks I only have to write 5 pages. Even an overachiever like me can realize her limitations especially while trying to recover from a deadline and handling three kidlets on her own.

So as of today, I'm implementing the plan. The page goals are weekly. This will work until I get closer to deadline and start the tally again. The tally is my record for me. My accountability. The fact you all cheer me on is the icing on top! And I love icing. Anyway, I'm curious to see how this works. This year I have not missed a deadline. I have two more to make by the end of the year. Let's hope this helps without all the trauma and drama of this past one!

Do you plan things out? Do you have a schedule or are you more spontaneous?