Friday, June 29, 2007

June Blues

I just realized tomorrow is the last day of the month. Where did June go? In less than two weeks, I'll be in Dallas for the national RWA conference. I haven't even started to look at the clothes in my closet to see what fits and what doesn't, but my dance card is filling up rapidly. Breakfasts, meetings, parties, dinners. I'm going to need a spreadsheet to keep track of it all! But that's part of the fun. Cramming as much and seeing as many friends as you can into the conference.

I didn't make it into my closet today, but I did pull out The Plan. I wish I hadn't. By July 1st, I should be on page 31. I'm nowhere close to that mark.

But I have made a little progress on the book. I finally put the prologue to bed. A PMR member helped me put the final touches on it when he answered a couple of key questions for me the other day. And I started on chapter one. I'm kinda stuck in the where should I open the book. I have one opening, but I'm not sure it's the right one. I just need to write the darn thing and worry about the details later. Not sure why they keep stopping me.

I suppose if I wrote non-stop for the next say forty-eight hours I might get close to the plan. But I must admit, that is not going to happen. I kinda like sleep now that I've gotten a taste of it! So I'll just have to fiddle with the plan. Something I can do because the proposal deadline is two months away. Still not that much time I just realized. Gulp. Proposals always take me forever to write.

But what's a writer mom supposed to do when it's summer? Today I attended a play that my oldest was in as party of her Broadway Bound Camp. They put on their own version of Hansel and Gretel. Very creative.

The youngest finished her climbing camp yesterday and I had to be there all four days. She is only four. She made it to the top of two walls and everyone was cheering her on. I was so proud of her. She's ready to go again, too. Good thing because I know where I want to spend my birthday later this summer--stay in Bend and climb at Smith Rocks in Central Oregon.

I started reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King even though I should be reading the DeMille book. It may take me a while to get through due to lack of time and length of the book, but I'm enjoying it so far. What are you reading right now?