Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Countdown to Conference

The kidlets and I had a great time at the Tech Museum in San Jose. Our OMSI membership got us in free, too! Can't beat that.

We saw all kinds of cool things, got to do some hands-on science including an experiment where you insert jelly fish DNA into bacteria to make glowing bacteria that shows how they make certain medicines like insulin. They watched a show with pirates, then got to go figure out how they would survive on a deserted island with only a chest containing limited items. They had to tell the guy in charge how they would make shelter, get water, find food, cook food, fix a broken arm, etc. They loved doing that!

The best part is they got to see the equipment the company where my hubby works makes. And the big piece is one he actually worked on when he first started there years ago. All three recognized the company's logo and were so excited when they saw that.

As for the RWA national conference, it starts tomorrow. I head to San Francisco later today to check into the hotel. I will have dinner and then work on my revisions! Yes, I brought a little work. I figured I couldn't waste a hotel room with an adult roomie.

Yesterday I went for my pre-conference manicure and pedicure. I figured it would be better to wait until I got to California than have it done back home in Washington. Good call on my part.

My friend Debbie found a great place for me to go. Splendor in San Jose. They do a wonderful hot rock massage on your hands, arms and legs. It really felt good, especially my forearms. They did a French Manicure on both my fingernails and toenails. I've never had that done on my toes, but it looks very nice. And it'll match all my various outfits better than just one color.

At the salon, I was drying my nails when my cell phone rang. I couldn't answer it so just let it go. A couple of minutes later it rang again. I knew something was up then (and a little worried it might be one of the kids) so asked the woman sitting in the pedicure chair next to me if she could answer my phone. She wasn't having a manicure so her hands were free.

First she had to find my phone, not an easy task, in my purse which has several pockets and zippers and flaps. The worse thing is I never put my phone in the same place twice, but thought I knew where it was this time. She finally found it. I told her it would be my hubby calling. She read the name on the screen. It was him.

She explained who she was, which was quite humorous in itself, and I could only imagine what my hubby was thinking at that moment. She told him I couldn't talk because of my nails and would call him back in a few minutes. Unfortunately he needed to talk to me now since I was in charge of the veggie for dinner and he needed directions.

So I gave the instructions to her and she relayed them to hubby. There was a slight mix up with the salt and pepper, but we got that straightened out. I think she makes the dish, too, so was giving her recipe! And wouldn't you know why she was on my phone, her phone started ringing. We both just started laughing. I introduced myself and learned her name was Stephanie. I really appreciated her help. It was one of those random acts moments that just puts a smile on your face.

Have you ever needed to ask a stranger for help?