Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fun time and bad hair

When our friends arrived yesterday, Angus bounded into the house and screeched to a stop when he saw Chaos. He looked confused and maybe a little perturbed. What was another dog doing here?

The two doggies didn't seem to remember each other from their walk back in May (at least that's when I think it was!). Chaos was the more cautious of the two, but who could blame her? Suddenly, her kennel, her water bowl and her toys were being overtaken by another who seemed to feel very comfortable, almost too comfy, in her house.

Her son and my son disappeared upstairs and the girls followed them. Legos and lightsabers were the toys of choice yesterday afternoon. Pretty soon the girls were back downstairs.

While Tiffany and I talked, we put the dogs outside. Angus had great fun chasing Chaos around the patio table. That is until, she became fed up with the game stopped and growled at him! But they ran along the stone retaining wall, through the yard and seemed to warm up to each other after that.

It was great to see my friend in person. I've missed her so much. We haven't been emailing much. My hands and she wasn't been on line due to a vacation in Corsica so we had a lot of catching up to do. She was back in town for a funeral of a friend and both of us ended up in tears as she talked about the woman's son's reaction to her death. So heartbreaking. But the rest of the time we had fun. She was here for a long time and I only wish it could have been longer.

She gave me a book, Acting up by Melissa Nathan, that has a Pride and Prejudice theme. I can't wait to read it.

I'll add pictures to this blog once I have time to download them. I'm trying to do revisions and pack at the same time!

The one thing I didn't blog about yesterday was my hair. I was in denial, but the truth finally hit me. The highlights are, in a word, horrific. I'd ask that they not be as blond as the last time so she decided to put chocolate lowlights. So now I have dark brown streaks and blond (almost white though Tiff thought they looked more green). It's so not me.

The kids were the ones who first said they didn't look good, though they liked the cut. Son's first words, "You got highlights." Sorry, but an 8 yo boy should not notice things like this. I appreciated their and other's honesty since I knew something was wrong (some streaks looked white to me and so much lighter than the last ones) and had taken to wearing a baseball cap right away. I've been told I look 1) like a tiger 2) older 3) urban.

When I removed my baseball cap to show Tiffany, her expression said it all. She said it was a professional job, but if I wanted to pull it off I'd have to change my whole look. Sorry, but I don't do black. Or tattoos. I'm heading back to the stylist today, but Tiffany wondered if I should just cut my losses. Unfortunately, I can't go to National looking like this.

Hubby can't understand why these highlights came out differently than the ones I had before (with a different stylist who got pregnant). I told him she only did 9 foils. The last two times with the new stylist my head was covered in foils. He said he didn't see anything wrong with the color of my hair in the first place which is a typical guy response, but maybe he's on to something there. I would love to have my hair color, prior to May, back right now.

Please cross your fingers that my hair looks somewhat better when I get home this afternoon. Otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do and we're leaving for California on Friday. Not a lot of time to figure it out!

Have you ever had a bad haircut or color? What did you do?