Thursday, July 24, 2008

What was I thinking?

Okay, back in 2005, I planned our family vacation to coincide with RWA's National Conference and that went great, but for some reason this year things aren't going so smoothly. Okay, I had total hair trauma with the bad highlights, which is thankfully over. All blond is gone replaced by a caramel brown color. But it's more than that. Between my hands, the revisions and life, I feel like I've lost weeks of time and suddenly the end of the month has snuck up on my. My mother told me it's just because I was getting older. Gee, thanks, mom.

Maybe the reason is we're not only going on vacation, but attending an Irish Dance Feis. So not only do we need to pack for 10 days. (Guess who's packing for four of us???) I also have to bring all the Irish dance costumes. Since all three now compete that's quite a bit of extra stuff. I don't even want to think about my conference clothes either. I bought myself some new shoes yesterday though. I finally realized pretty much my entire wardrobe has brown in it and I don't own any brown shows except for my boots.

Another reason I'm having so much trouble this time around is hubby's car broke down last Saturday and he decided to wait to fix it until we get back from our trip which means we've only had one car this week. Last night when they went to watch my nephew play at State, I was stuck at home unable to do any of the errands on my Must do list before we leave. I still haven't gotten around to it yet and we leave in oh, fourteen hours or so.

Needless to say, I'm a bit freaked at the moment. I know I'm forgetting things. I know there are things I'm not going to be able to get around to. I know I was suppose to call friends in the Bay Area ahead of time, but it's just not going to happen until I get down there now. To be honest. I really wish I were hopping on a plane and flying somewhere with no people, no phones or Internet. Alone.

But instead I'll have a few days with my family and friends and then I'll hit the conference where I'll be overwhelmed by all the people (I'm shy and a loner so conference week pretty much sucks for me) and talk to hundreds of people in 3 minute snatches while wearing heels and make-up and wishing I could be climbing instead. But I'll survive and take loads of pictures so you can see what's happening in San Francisco, the way I did when I conference blogged in Dallas last year. And then I'll come home and try to figure how to recover from my "vacation."

If you live in the Bay Area and want to save, I mean, see me, I'll be signing at the RWA author booksigning for Literacy on Wednesday from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the San Francisco Marriott. It's a free event and there will be over 500 romance authors in attendance. I'll be signing SOS Marry Me. If you want more info, go here.

We leave super early in the morning to try and beat the traffic so I won't be posting until we arrive or on Saturday. I hope you have a great day today and on Friday. I hope you have fun plans for the weekend, too.

BTW, who are your fave authors? The one's you like to read so I can try and snag some of their books to giveaway when I get back.