Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Mountain Athlete

The Climbing Cutie attended a seminar at Mountain Athlete last weekend in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. It was about how to train to improve your climbing. He said it was great and I can't wait to hear more about it. This picture of him ended up on the home page of the place's website!

I'm still a newbie, sucky climber, but I've learned one thing as I've used Crossfit to get in shape. Too much Crossfit actually hurts the climbing. At least my climbing. A body needs time to recover. The key is finding the right balance between climbing days and workout days. And that's where I need help so I'm thrilled Cutie went to this seminar. My hands might still hurt, but they aren't all tingly and numb anymore so it's time to start climbing again. I spent all winter and spring gym climbing a couple of times a week to get ready for this summer only to have to stop completely in June. It's a bummer and I know I'll have a lot of ground to make up.

I can't wait to sit down with the Climbing Cutie and talk to him about what he learned. I need a solid workout routine that will help me get stronger and improve my climbing. And I'm hoping what he learned is scalable based on fitness level ala Crossfit!

Speaking of Crossfit, I had a session with Nichole yesterday.

Warmup: 400 m run
Skills: Back Squats 45#
WOD: 3 rounds (21, 15, 9) Deadlifts 65#, Push ups (on rounds 2 and 3 I did ring rows instead of push ups)

I was dying. It was hot and I was hurting. But I did it! My max deadlift is 95#, but Nichole said it will be higher based on the reps I've been doing lately. I can't see what it is!

I'm also losing weight. Finally. Nothing like getting off deadline, stop eating donuts and chocolate and get the butt off the chair. What's really helped though is I stopped eating anything with gluten and sugar. That's pretty much put me onto a Zone diet without too much effort and planning. Already people are noticing, so that's good. And the pants that were too tight are starting to feel looser. I am allowing myself one dessert a week. On Sunday, I had a ice cream sundae with Butterfinger sprinkles at Great Wolf Lodge. Oh-so yummy!

I'm going to start taking the kids on hikes. Chaos needs to get out more and though the kids are having a fun time at Crossfit kids a couple of times a week, they need more fresh air than just playing in the yard and riding their bikes.

What physical activities will you be doing this summer?