Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fun times!

It's hard to believe my little boy is now eight. The kid was always off the charts (think fat, not chubby and tall for his age!). He keeps outgrowing the length of his pants, but he's slimmed down though he eats like we don't feed him. I looked at him last night and couldn't help but remember the toddler who always wanted to be in my arms. I pulled him onto my lap last night after everyone had left and his sisters were getting ready for bed. We talked about when he was born, a baby (we called him Bo-bo then) and his day.

Finn had an awesome birthday. When he arrived home from school, his nana, papa and three cousins were already there. He had a "No Homework" coupon he'd been saving for his birthday (smart kid!) so he got to play instead of do schoolwork.

Kudos to his baseball coach for letting Finn bat first, with the new bat he'd opened right before we left for the game, and just making it a really special game for him. Finn just beamed the entire evening. The team sang Happy Birthday to him at the end of the game. The snacks we gave out at the end, cupcakes and treat bags, were big hits with the team, too.

After the game, we ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant (Finn's choice!) then headed home for cake. Finn wanted a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. Hubby was in charge of this, along with the bat. He picked this tasty one that had chocolate chip ice cream and white cake. A good compliment to the chocolate cupcakes we'd handed out at the game.

Presents topped off the evening! Even Chaos wanted in on the action. Finn got a set of sport things (tennis racket, golf club and bat) to use with the Wii and money from my parents, a Flix thingy that is like a digital VCR for kids and a huge set of Pokemon cards from my sister's family, money from his Grammy and a bat, electronic Monopoly game, pair of track pants, The Bee Movie DVD and a hardcover book about Darth Vader from all of us. A pretty nice haul for an eight year old! Needless to say, he had no complaints.

Now to move on to the First Communion! I ended up not ordering favors (ran out of time with being sick and didn't think to plan ahead) so that means I have to make them. I'm still trying to figure out what to do for those. Right now I'm thinking little organza bags I saw at the Dollar Tree (6 for $1) filled with candy and either a rosary or a prayer card. I have to run to the local Catholic store today and see what they have.

Any one have any suggestions? I'm open to ideas!