Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ear Worms

This morning on my way to Everyday Athlete for another Crossfit workout, I was listening to the radio. Usually when I'm in the minivan I have one or more of the kidlets with me so Radio Disney is the station of choice since most everything else is inappropriate for young ears, but since I was on my own I got to listen to whatever I wanted. This morning it was 105.1 The Buzz.

The morning DJs were talking about ear worms. I had never heard the term and was disturbed to hear we all have them. All of us. Yes, even you have ear worms.

What's an ear worm?

An earworm is a song (think one-hit wonder, a kids' tune or just a tune you've heard many times) that gets stuck in your head and you can't stop thinking about it. Even WebMD has an article about earworms.

The DJs played several examples of earworms that I won't repeat for fear of giving one to you, but I will say a certain Disney tune from a ride in Fantasyland full of dolls dressed in a variety of nationalities has been stuck in my head since 7:15 am.

Luckily, there is a cure for earworms. All you have to do is sing the lyrics out loud (saying them won't work!)

Have you ever had an earworm? What song couldn't you get out of your head?

Crossfit Update
This morning was my third session with Nicole and my hardest workout yet. I did a rowing, thrusters and SDHP. That last thing might have the wrong order of initials (I'm too tired to remember) but the S stands for Sumo, and I was very intimidated by that. I made it through the workout, but barely. I had to keep telling myself. One more. Just one more to make it through. I was dead. Remember that pic of climbing cutie on the floor in this post? That's exactly how I felt.

Of course, I signed up for more sessions next week before I left. Masochists R Us. But I gotta admit I love it. I'm doing stuff I never thought I could do and must admit that's empowering. I sat in the car a few minutes before starting the drive home. Then I called the Climbing Cutie. I told him what I'd done and that I was shaking. He said I did a great job, but just wait until I meet Mr. Pukie. That's one introduction I hope to skip. We'll see. Right now I just want to grab a hot shower.


Have a great day!