Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Christmas or Halloween?

I just got back from picking up the kidlets from school. On the drive over, I hit one my preset buttons and heard, Do they know it's Christmas Time. A Christmas song playing on Halloween? I wondered if I'd stepped through some space/time continuum worm hole or something. I checked the station, a local contemporary Christian song called The Fish. I knew I wasn't dreaming because I did not have a nap scheduled for today.

After the song played, a listener thanked the dj and station for playing Christmas music on Halloween. Huge sigh of relief. I hadn't suddenly time-traveled leaving no one to pick up my children from school or finish writing my book (okay, maybe having someone else deal with the book wouldn't be such a bad thing!). Instead the radio station decided to celebrate Jesus' birth and play Christmas Carols rather than acknowledge Halloween. That's one way to handle it.

The kids got in the minivan after school. I still had the radio on. You should have seen their faces when they heard Do You Hear What I Hear playing. It was so funny. A "Merry Christmas from Fish 104.1" message came on next.

My oldest looked at me very confused. "What is going on, Mommy? It's not Christmas."

I explained why Christmas carols were being played on October 31st. We then sang along with the next carol until we got home. It definitely put me in the mood to finish my scene that takes place at the mall two days before Christmas. I just hope the station doesn't start playing Christmas Carols for real until the day after Thanksgiving. I still remember the year two local stations started playing carols in early November. One station full-time. The other on weekends as a holiday teaser promotion. I thought both ideas were stupid. Luckily the next year, they didn't do that. Sure hope that's the case this year again!

Okay, I must go make sure I have three saints costumes laid out for church and then the three trick or treat costumes for later.

Merry Christmas. Oops. I mean Happy Halloween!