Friday, October 19, 2007

Google Alerts

If you've ever wondered how writers know to suddenly show up on your blog or website when you've posted a review or mentioned them on a post, the answer is Google Alerts. You put in key words such as your name or book title or a subject you're researching for a story and the gogglebot will search the Internet for them. If it finds one of your keywords, you get a nifty email giving you a link to see what's being said.

Sometimes this is a good thing. One of my Google Alerts is Portland Mountain Rescue. I received two emails about an upcoming story in the November issue of Esquire titled These Men Might Save Your Life. Think search and rescue guys decked out in designer clothing with Mount Hood as the setting. You can probably imagine the smile on my face when I read this. I emailed my SAR expert about it because he's total model material, and yes, it's true, but he hasn't seen the layout yet.

Talk about perfect timing and inspiration. Guess what I'll be savoring while finishing up my book that's due December 1st!

The next Google Alert I received this morning wasn't quite as good. Let's just say someone is having a good time making fun of romance titles and one of mine is on their list. I'll be the first to admit that some romance book titles could be improved. Still you'd think people would have better things to do. Whatever. Snarkiness seems to have been reached its heyday via the Internet. The title wasn't one I came up with, but it does fit the book. I'm guessing the person poking "fun" won't take the time to read it and find out. I just feel bad for those authors who with titles on the list who haven't developed quite as thick a skin as me. Especially if it's their first book.

Stuff like this happens when you write romances. Whether on the Internet or in the media. I know writers who send off letters to editors every time a negative article comes out about the genre or would post a comment on the above thread if it had been one of their titles. Not me. Every time I hear the battle cry and a call to action to defend romance, I'm reminded of the following quote from Hamlet.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

I love what I write. I proudly call myself a romance writer. I love what I read. I proudly call myself a romance reader. But not everyone is going to love romances the way I do. Often in our defense of the genre, we come off looking well, too defensive. And that can bring even more negative publicity.

Let's face it, most of the romance detractors have never read a romance novel. Or at least one published in the last few years. Many still think romance novels are the same as the ones being published decades ago. A letter touting the appeal of romance complete with statistics on the amount sold each year or a post saying why a book has a specific title isn't going to change those people's opinion. The only thing that might do that is a well-written romance novel. A good book is our best defense. Which is why instead of posting a comment about my book title, I'll be working on my manuscript instead.

Do you use Google Alerts? If so, what are some of your key words you're following?

Hope you're having a happy Friday?