Saturday, October 13, 2007

Movie Night

With the kidlets at my parents, hubby and I took advantage of the freedom and had a date night. We ate dinner at my fave Thai place then headed home to watch movies. I'd stopped by Hollywood Video on Thursday night and picked up three that I thought would appeal to hubby: Bourne Identity, Little Miss Sunshine and Stranger Than Fiction.

I settled down on the couch with my iBook, figuring I'd watch and write at the same time. Not the best plan since once I get caught up in a story, the only other things I can do is drink and eat. Hubby picked Bourne Identity. No surprise there. I enjoyed it more than hubby. Again, not a surprise since he's not really a movie guy. He wondered if the book would be better.

Something I liked a lot about the movie were the assassins. They didn't really look like assassins which I guess was the point. I remember when the movie was first coming out no one could imagine Matt Damon in the role. After seeing the movie, I couldn't imagine anyone else. He is a perfect Jason Bourne.

There were a couple of things I didn't get about the plot though, either I missed them or they weren't there. What was the deal about his being a $30 million dollar killing machine? I realize this was a black project, but did his training cost that much or was that the operations budget? And what about the dying assassin mentioning Threadsquare or something like that? The headache references implied they had implants or chips in their head, but that wasn't really explained. Is this something dealt wiht in further stories? Or do you have to read Robert Ludlum's book to find out?

Hubby picked Stranger Than Fiction for the second feature. We both enjoyed the movie. The best part for me was Emma Thompson, who played the writer. My characters have taken over a story many times doing the exact opposite of what I wanted them to do, but none have shown up at my front door. I was laughing out loud at the various ways of her getting inspired and her research! Imagining herself in a situation to see how it would feel, sitting in the rain, visiting places for atmosphere...been there, done that.

When my closest friends found out I was climbing, they all asked if it was for a book. They wonder whether I will continue climbing once this book is done. I will because I love it. I cannot imagine not climbing. Of course, they are all wondering what I will be writing about next! Hubby's pulling for a character who is a chef.

When the writer was in the hospital asking the nurse where the dying people were, I shifted uncomfortably on the couch. It was awkward and hit a little too close to home. And the scene when she watched the apple roll down the street and suddenly everything crystallized was brilliant. And true.

It will be weeks or months before hubby and I watch another movie together, but that's okay. I do need to finish the book. What about you? Do you ever have movie nights at home? What are your favorite kind to watch?

And in sticking with today's movie theme, here's a little quiz for you! If your life was a movie, what genre would it be?

The Movie Of Your Life Is A Cult Classic

Quirky, offbeat, and even a little campy - your life appeals to a select few.
But if someone's obsessed with you, look out! Your fans are downright freaky.

Your best movie matches: Office Space, Showgirls, The Big Lebowski