Thursday, October 25, 2007

On the floor

My Crossfit instructor Nichole told me she had planned a really "fun" workout for me this morning. All I could think as I went, okay struggled, through the workout was if I died while doing this could it possibly be deemed premeditated murder since these exercises had been planned ahead of time.

I thought my earlier workouts had been hard. They were. But today I entered into another round of hardness. I never knew just how good it felt to sit on the ground nor how difficult it could be to get up off the floor until this morning.

For my warm-up, I did arm circles, shoulder thingys (no idea what they are called, but it hurt), kicks, 10 lb D Ball throws for distance outside with a little running to get the ball and then 10 lb D Ball throws for height.

This was my workout of the day (three rounds of the following):

5 D Ball Slams (10 lbs)
5 Kettlebell Swings (20 lbs)
150 m row
5 DB Thrusters (10 lbs first round, 7.5 lbs second, third)
5 Jumping Pull ups (not a real pull up, which I can't do. For these, you stand on a box and jump up so your chin is above the bar)
150 m row
5 P Press (7.5 lbs first round, 5 lbs second, third)
5 Push Ups

Time: 16 minutes 12 seconds

Nichole lowered two of the weights during the second round. The sad thing is a lot of people do those exercises with lots more weight, percentages of their body weights, yet I'm struggling with a measly 10 pounds. Guess you gotta start somewhere.

Luckily there was no blood. A good thing. I also managed to walk to the minivan rather than crawl. Another good thing. And finally I didn't meet Mr. Pukie. Huge sigh of relief there. Of course, I signed up for two more sessions next week, too. Who knows what "fun" Nichole will have in store for me?

I have to admit all this exercising might make me tired, but I'm already seeing benefits.

I feel as though my head is clearer, and I'm able to do more mentally. Especially writing wise. On Tuesday, I napped then rewrote a scene that had been giving me fits for two days. My cp couldn't believe the difference when she read it yesterday. Neither could I.

I went gym climbing yesterday. My climbing partner said she noticed a big improvement in my climbing in the two weeks since we'd climbed together! I noticed it, too. Don't know how much of that is the climbing clinic or how much is Crossfit, but I'm guessing a combo of the two.

The biggest benefit has been more energy. Sure I'm sore and might need a nap on workout days, but I don't feel as tired. With all I have going on, this is a very good thing. Especially as I head into November and the deadline dementia/hell that will hit as I approach the December 1st deadline.

What about you? Do you feel better when you work out? What benefits have you seen?