Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Crossfit - Filthy Fifty

I met my climbing partner at 10 this morning and climbed for about an hour. I did much better this time. The 5.8 routes I did even felt good! I'll probably give a 5.9 a try when we meet tomorrow. I stopped by home to see hubby and Rose (who was still in her jammies!) than drove to the garage gym to do my workout of the day (WOD.)

To show you what I mean by scaled workouts, this is what the WOD on the Crossfit website for today is:

For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

There is no way in the world I could do that. So I go to the BrandX forum for a scaled workout to do. They offer a Big Dawgs version, a Pack version, a Puppies version and the Buttercups version. I vary between Puppies and Buttercups depending on the day.

Here was my scaled WOD:

Buttercups:
10-15 Box jump, 10-15 inch box (box plus a 35 pound weight = approx. 10 inches)
10-15 Jumping pull-ups
10-15 Kettlebell swings, 12kg
Walking Lunge, 10-15 steps
10-15 Ab-Mat Sit-ups
10-15 Push press, 20-25 pounds (I used two 10 lb dumbells)
10-15 Back extensions (Good mornings with barbell)
10-15 Wall ball shots, 10-16 pound ball (Ball throws in the air, not against the wall)
10-15 Burpees (Burpees with knee pushups)
10-15 Standard Jump Rope Jumps


My workout was the Tenacious Ten since I did 10 of each exercise. I made a couple substitutions (those and other notes marked in red above) and did workout in 9:07:59.  I have no idea if this is good or bad.  I don't really care.  I just want to improve on that time the next time this comes around again.

Of course, I realized when I got home I was supposed to do Thrusters if I couldn't do the wall balls, but oh, well... It was a good workout. Though I only did a 500m row and one round of warm-up because I was a little tired from climbing and kind of dragging as I got everything set up. Still I managed to get it in!  That's gotta count for something.

Did you do anything physical today?