Thursday, January 31, 2008

Another one down

Today is Grandparents Day at the kidlet's school. My parents came back from visiting my aunt in Arizona to attend, driving all night and in a snowstorm to try and get over the pass before they closed I-5. They left their house at 6 am to make the hour plus drive and beat the traffic. My mom called me a little after 7 am from a local cafe where they were eating breakfast to say they'd come by and take Finn to school since the activities start at 8 am.

Mackenna broke down into tears when I told her she couldn't go to school this morning. She's still got that glassy eye look and her cough doesn't sound good. Two years ago she and her brother were both sick on Grandparents day and missed all the fun.

A few minutes later, Finn walked into my bedroom, dressed in school uniform, with flushed cheeks and glassy eyes. He'd been coughing most of the night, his throat hurt and his skin felt warm. Yep, he's got a temperature.

My parents arrived right after that to find out all the efforts they'd made to make it to Grandparents Day were for nothing. Neither of the kidlets would be going to school today. Neither of them wanted to stick around long and be exposed to the germs. I totally understand this at their age, but it was so hard for the kids. I feel so bad for all my parents went through to get here, but there's nothing I could do except apologize, which I did. I had no idea Finn would get sick too.

Now I'm just waiting for the trifecta. Rose is complaining of a sore throat, but I don't know if it's an attention getting sore throat or the real thing yet. No fever though.

Needless to say, sick kids needs lots of attention so that's what I've been giving them, but I've gotta admit, I'm starting to freak out as everything else has been pushed to the back burner. I look at what I need to do and it's totally overwhelming: a proposal to write, 8 RITA books to read, page proofs for RESCUED BY THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS that have a due date, two tree skirt panels to embroider for son's class auction project, wood burning to learn, a 50 x 40 wood mirror frame to be traced and wood burned so daughter's class can paint it. I can't even talk about the house right now. The only thing that's been done is laundry.

I'm trying to squeeze in things as I can. Yesterday, I managed two chapters of the page proofs (called AAs - author alterations), a chapter of a RITA book and an hour of wood burning practice. Baby steps. Gotta remember that. I need to break it all down and make a To Do list. Some chocolate might help!

Hope your Thursday is better than mine has been so far! What have you got going on?