Monday, January 14, 2008

A Happy Day for Rose

When I got home from the garage gym yesterday morning, the kids were already up and getting ready for church. Rose's eyes sparkled and her smile lit up her face. She hugged me when I wished her Happy Birthday. She couldn't believe she was five!

On our way out of the church, she asked me to tell Father that it was her birthday today. When we got outside to say hello, he mentioned that today was her birthday without either of us telling him. and asked if she wanted a blessing. She did! (I'd asked him at the garage if he would give Rose a birthday blessing after Mass.) Rose was so happy he knew it was her birthday without having to tell him. We went downstairs for donuts, then headed to the store to pickup her cake.

She wanted a High School Musical 2 cake. I called around, but the only thing I could find was a High School Musical 1 cake. This was fine with Rose. She just wanted to have a big girl cake! Her second choice was Tinkerbell (we're having one of those delivered to the hotel room when we are in Disneyland next week) or a princess cake.

We ran home to change, then hit Chuck E. Cheese for lunch. My brother-in-law (also Rose's godfather) and his girlfriend met us there. After a couple of hours pizza, games and cotton candy, those over the age of ten could no longer take the noise or the crowd (it was fine until about noon then people streamed in) so we headed home. Rose's godmother met us at the house to open presents and have cake and ice cream.

What does turning five get you? Well, Rose received pajamas and a robe from her godmother, disposable cameras from her godfather (for our trip), a princess softball set from her brother, a Barbie bath set from her sister, money from her grammy in NY, a jewelry box from the family and a Leapster with a couple of games from hubby and me. Quite a nice haul. She loved her gifts.

The only bad times were when the birthday girl cried at naptime (she didn't want to take one), but she fell asleep quickly and cried again when we had to wake her up to head back to church for religious ed. She told us she didn't get to sleep long enough. We told her she could go back home with daddy and skip her class, but we all had to go to help me set up my class. That sounded good to her, but once we got there she decided to stay.

We came back home for dinner (her choice-burritos) and another slice of cake. I think she fell asleep the minute her head hit the pillow. Not a bad day for a five year old. And for mom. I have to admit it was really nice not having to deal with a party.

The celebration continues, too. We're sending in Go-gurts today for her class celebration. And at morning prayer, the entire school will sing Happy Birthday to her.

Plus there's the upcoming trip to Disneyland. We go there each time one of the kids turn five. This has led the kids to ask if it's the last time they'll ever go to Disneyland. Hubby answered yes. I told them he was joking.

Rose still can't figure out when we'll be in Disneyland. Yesterday, she told her grandparents over the phone that she wasn't going on this day. Time doesn't have a lot of meaning for kids her age. That means I'll be saying, "We leave on Friday" a lot this week! Not that I mind. I think I'm as excited about this trip as the kids. I love Disneyland!

Hubby thinks I go overboard with birthdays. I think he could care less about celebrating them if given the choice. I don't know if it's guy thing, family thing, what, but holidays just aren't that big a deal to him whereas they are huge to me.

What about you? How do you feel about birthdays (besides the getting older part)? Are they big deals or just another day?