Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Paging Dr. Ross

I just got home from the ER. Mackenna was having trouble breathing and chest pain. I phoned our doctor and a nurse from the hospital called us back. She told us to try steam for 20 minutes and she'd call us back. The steam didn't help so we had to go in.

I took her to Emmanuel Hospital in Portland. It's the ER of choice of our pediatrician and pediatric clinic. They have a separate children's ER waiting room complete with a television that plays the Disney Channel. Mackenna smiled when she noticed it. That was good. She hasn't been smiling much today.

The triage nurse said we'd picked a good time to come in. 5 to 8 is the worst. Our wait wasn't very long, and we were quickly ushered into a room.

After so many years of watching ER (okay, George Clooney), I always wondered if there were pediatrician ER docs as hot as Dr. Ross. So far, I haven't met one. Nor have I even glimpsed one in our... (oh boy, are we already past two hands worth of kid ER visits if so I don't want to remember the number.) But let's face it, no mom wants to be the ER, hot doctors or not. In fact, I hope this is our last visit to the ER.

This time wasn't so bad. Mackenna's doctor, female, was nice. So were the two R.N.s, both male. One of the nurses wore a Scooby Doo hat, tie and pants. This brought another smile to Mackenna's face.

She's sound asleep now in our bed. I'm going to keep the inhaler they gave us handy just in case. Hubby is going to sleep on the couch. Angus, who we picked up yesterday, will like the company! He's been sleeping downstairs and on the stair landing. The dog, not hubby.

I hope you're having pleasant dreams! Fingers crossed for a full night of sleep and a much better day!