Tuesday, March 25, 2008

RITAs

Today the finalists in the Romance Writers of America's RITA awards will be announced. Like other contests that recognize the best in the field (Oscars, Edgars, etc), the books were judged by peers (published authors) and came out in 2007. The winners are announced at a glitzy ceremony at the RWA National conference. This year's conference will be held in San Francisco.

I was a two-time Golden Heart finalist with my first two books I sold. That was so much fun! The Golden Heart is for unpublished writers. Those calls are going out, too. So good luck to all those who entered.

I've seen my RITA scores and last year finally stopped asking for them to be sent to me. Let's just say, I've never come close to making the finals. That coupled with all category/series (Harlequin/Silhouette/Avalon/etc) books, no matter what the length or sensuality level, being combined into one category, I'm not expecting a call. But it's still one of those contests I enter every year. Why? Because it's the RITA! You just never know. What can I say? I still buy lotto tickets when the jackpot gets above $100 million or so.

This is still one of my favorite days of the year. I love to hear from those writers who do get the call and share in their excitement. Plus I like to see if any of the books I judged and loved make it!

If you could pick your favorite romance (only one!) of 2007, what would it be?