Thursday, March 08, 2012

The Good Parts

funny cat pictures - Teh gud part!
see more

I love the LOLcat above! I'm hoping to have some good parts during my writing talk to a group of twenty third and fourth graders today. I was supposed to do this a week ago, but school was canceled due to snow. I'm kind of glad because I remembered a kids' writing book I purchased, Show, Don't Tell, but never got around to using due to enrolling in K12's Language Arts. So I'm incorporating a lesson from that into the talk!

I'm going to talk about being a writer and the need for revising. A lot of kids don't understand why revising is necessary, my daughter included. I hope they begin to see that it really is important. Fingers crossed!

Have a nice Thursday!

7 comments:

Brandy said...

Do they not teach writing a first draft and then a second draft in schools now? Isn't that similar to revising? Best of luck and fun with your talk today!

Melissa McClone said...

They do teach drafts and revising, but that doesn't mean kids like to do it! Many don't. They think what they wrote the first time is fine. I had them do two exercises and was so pleased with the results. I also read them the five drafts of my beginning to Rescued by the Magic of Christmas opening so they could see how revision does make things better. It was really fun!

Jane said...

I remember some English teachers making us go through at least two revisions before turning in a paper.

Dru said...

How did you talk go?

Quilt Lady said...

How did everything go, when it comes to third and fourth graders you never know.

Brandy said...

I wish there was someone like you here to come give talks to Daughter's writing club. *g*

Melissa McClone said...

The talk went great. They were into the exercises and seemed to have fun with them. I took some of them with me to go over and Rose brought home another stack! So happy they wanted to do it and do it well!