Thursday, September 29, 2005

Another day, some more pages

Here's the tally for yesterday (Wednesday):

New pages written: 6 (goal: 6.4 pages)
Old pages revised on paper: 0
Pages of revisions typed in: 0
Pages lost or gained due to revisions: 0
Total page count to date: 126 (goal: 200 pages)
Days remaining until D-day: 34

Emails from editor in UK: 1
Emails from agent in NY: 0

Chocolate consumed: Cupcake
Junk food consumed: None. (forgot to eat lunch unless you count the cupcake since Rose was at a friend's house)
Exercise: None
Television watched: LOST and Invasion (wrote through invasion)
Pictures of Hayden downloaded: None
Tears: None

Busy day with school stuff and driving the kids to various activities so the focus wasn't on writing. I did manage to write pages, but they will need lots of rewriting. I've been dragging all day. Must sleep and remember to eat. That would help my output.

And of course it's Wednesday, which meant from 9-10 pm I didn't do anything except watch LOST. I wasn't blown away by this episode as the premiere. That means I'm probably too tired to pay close enough attention so I hope they show it again next week so I can rewatch it. Still going back to Locke being in the hatch was anticlimactic for me. I could've used a bite of Kate's candy bar. I was happy to finally see Sawyer and Michael and I'm so relieved Jin is alive. The ending with "the others" running out of the jungle was cool. Of course, Jin's version of the others is actually survivors from the back of the plane not "the others" who took Walt. And who knows whether either of those are "the others" Rousseau spoke about. Next week should be very interesting.

Here's another question posted in the comments: "how do you decide when you need an extra scene that wasn't there before?"

Something I learned from the talented Virginia Kantra (romantic suspense author) is to see if I've 1) maintained dominant mood/emotion between scenes 2) or if it is different, shown how a character's dominant mood/emotion has changed between scenes. That is if my heroine is happy at the end of a scene, she should start her next scene in that same mood unless you show what's caused her change. If not, the reader is missing something important. How could the heroine go from happy to depressed when the only thing that happened in between was a scene with the hero and his mother that had nothing to do with the heroine? The reader needs to know what happened to cause the heroine's emotional change. Not every writer does this, but it's good advice and a way to figure out if an extra scene (or a little rewriting) might be needed. I hope that makes sense. I'm so tired, I can no longer focus on the monitor. That means it's time for bed!