Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Friends

On Thursday, I'll be having lunch with someone I met on an Internet forum in December. We've been emailing ever since. Hubby isn't too worried this time around based on how we got to know each other. I pm'd her with a question and she connected me a family member who's been helping me research my SAR stories and more. She's "traceable" as he calls it.

But in the past, hubby's been a little concerned when I meet my "virtual" friends face to face. He even went with me when I met a fellow Titanic buff who was male. I understand his concern, anyone who uses the Internet has probably dealt with their share of posers and trolls, but I see nothing wrong with making friends on-line and if the opportunity arises and you feel safe, meeting them in person.

I've been on one email group for so long, well before I had my first child, that I can't even remember when we started. We've been through marriage, divorce, miscarriage, childbirth, illness, death, moves, kids to school, first sales, rejections, you name it. They know so much about me and me them, yet I've only met a few face-to-face. We have exchanged Christmas Cards so I know what many of them and their families look like.

I'd jump at the chance to meet or see anyone of them in person since I consider all of them to be precious, close friends. The same way I'd love to meet a few other people I've met on-line, people I interact with regularly in forums, email, loops and blogs. This boggles my hubby's mind. How could I call someone a friend if we've never met? It doesn't strange to me at all. How about you?

Do you have "virtual" friends? Would you want to meet them in person? Have you met any of them in person.

Instead of a link for the day, I'm posting this You Tube video in prepartion for St. Patrick's Day. It's a four-hand figure dance. I actually know how to dance this one. Though I'm not quite as stiff as these fellows. Enjoy!