Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Productive Evening

I didn't get as much writing as I should done, but I checked off a huge To Do item off my list and attended a very informative slide show on mountain rescue.

Since the slide show was in downtown Portland, I figured I'd go a little early and look for a dress to wear to the auction. A friend had recommended a store in Pioneer Place so that was my first stop. I found a pretty dress, though I wasn't sure about the top part of it. Very thin straps and bodice that showed a lot more sink than I normally do. Still the dress fit and I asked them to hold it while I run to Saks (I was also planning on walking another block up and hitting Nordstrom, too.) At Saks, I perused the racks of cocktail dresses and immediately asked for help as soon as a sales person appeared. I explained what I needed. She showed me three dresses and I said I'd try them on.

The first dress I put on was the one I liked the most. Simple with a satin ribbon to tie around the waist. A very light blush pink. Sleeveless. Two pieces. A silky slip with an organza dress that goes over it. The neckline is high so lots more coverage, but it's also see-thru. I fell in love with the dress. I didn't try on the others. She called alterations and once it was pinned I liked it even more. So YAY! I just have to go back and pick it up next week. Oh, and find shoes.

After Saks, I headed to the Pearl District. (This is the area of downtown Portland where my heroine, Jane, in Plain Jane's Princess, worked at the coffee shop.) The North Face sponsored last night's slide show that was put on by Steve Rollins, a member of PMR and past president of the organization.

I learned a lot about SAR that will help me with my upcoming book. Each time I talk to one of these guys (I've now met two PMR members in person and gotten to know another over the phone) I get ideas for my hero. I can't wait until I'm past the deadline of this book and closer to the end so I can really start figuring that character out!

It was interesting to hear Steve's take on various rescues (including the 2002 helicopter one where he was the rescue leader and the December tragedy where he showed us a few pictures that hadn't been published.) He talked about a couple rescues that dealt with hikers (both had been alone and didn't tell people where they were going.) The lessons learned on each of the missions were applicable to anyone who spends time outdoors having fun. He also had strong opinions about the proposed Oregon legislature that would make it mandatory for Mt. Hood Climbers to carry electronic locator beacons, too.

A couple people who were rescued off Mt. Hood last month were there and talked about a fundraiser they are putting on to raise money for all the rescue groups who got their two parties off the hill. I'll post more info about that next week in case anyone is local and wants to attend. Miss Velvet, the lab, will be there! A good thing that came out of that rescue is that four of the people and the dog were on Ellen's show on Tuesday. A company donated $20,000 to Portland Mountain Rescue and $10,000 to Dove Lewis Emergency Animal Hospital after that!

I came home, worked until after one o'clock, stressed out when I learned about a problem iBook G4's have been having then crashed.

Today I must write at least 10 pages. Wish me luck.

Link for the day: This is who our vet recommended we talk to about our three cats. All of them have been naughty and not always using the litter box. It's not just Spirit so even once she's feeling better, we will still have the problem. I have all my furniture picked out for the house, plus fabric purchased for some of the pieces, but we aren't going to buy anything new that could be ruined by our three furbabies. Needless to say, we have to do something! The testimonials are pretty amazing. What do you think?

P.S. If you want to know about Spirit's test results, check yesterday's comments. That's where I talked about them.