Friday, March 30, 2007

Top Cat and Lucky Lab

I had to leave Smalls and Rocket at the vet overnight because they couldn't get one test done, and the behavoirist needs to know that there isn't a medical reason for all of the problems we've been having with their litter box usage and sometimes lack of usage. I thought Spirit would be lonely without her fur siblings. She's not. She's loving being the top cat. She even slept with us last night in the spot where Rocket usually sleeps.

We had to take Spirit off her medicine due to a reaction she had. Her ears and now face is being covered with bloody scabs. That actually sounds better than what it looks like. I've got a call into the place where they do the I131 treatment to see when we can get her in there. Soon, I hope. Now that she's off the medication, they expect her symptoms to start up again.

Last night, we attended the benefit at Lucky Lab for local search and rescue teams. Lots of members of Portland Mountain Rescue were there. I kept looking at all the guys and thinking about my hottie SAR hero. Unfortunately I'm too into the current book right now to get side-tracked into the next one. Too bad this event wasn't in June. I would have been working the room like crazy then!

Instead I bid on a few items and won one-a case of wine and a tour for 8 with tasting and appetizers at a winery in Dundee, Oregon. I also met Matty, who seemed like a really nice guy, and his dog, Velvet, who is so sweet, very good with kids and gives out lots of wet kisses. Only one of the kidlets met Velvet (the others were getting drinks with hubby) so we had a few sad faces and tears when we learned Velvet had left to take a break, but Matty told them they could email her from their website.

I spoke with Christina Redl, a very friendly, approachable young woman who was injured in the fall. She's healing from all of her injuries, but unfortunately had no medical insurance due to being just out of college. I said her bills would be like student loan and she said yes, but she had one of those, too. Not fun. Her friends set up a fund for her and there was also a place to donate money to that last night. I asked her if she planned on climbing again and she said yes. That time on Mt. Hood was her first mountaineering experience, and she said she'd like to climb Hood again.

It was a fun evening. A lot of people showed up to raise money for some great volunteer organizations. The group putting it on had some great packages and things seemed to run pretty smoothly auction wise. The beer was tasty, too. A great event for PDXers.

The kidlets are off school so I'd better figure out what we're doing today since skiing isn't happening. But my anniversary trip is still on. We're leaving on Sunday for two nights. I cannot wait.

What do you have on tap for today and this weekend?

Link for the day: A brief story on where we were last night.