Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Night to Remember

Today, we will be time traveling back with Martha Le Douce Harder to the evening of April 14th, 1912.

Bonjour! I am Martha Le Douce Harder, originally from the French Riveria, but on my way to America for the first time with my new husband, George C. Harder. George is an ambitious, handsome, entrepreneur! Not as much money as I would have hoped (he does love to play cards and bet on the ponies with Henry Ford), but since I have my own money who am I to complain. I'm on my way to the United States on the luxurious ship RMS Titanic, what more could a girl ask for?

We arrived late to dinner. Being newlyweds on our honeymoon this was expected. The captain and several of the staff greeted us as we entered. We were led into the restaurant reception room. The other passengers were already there.

Richest man in the world, John Jacob Astor and his bride Madeline seemed to be taking it all in. They were finally returning to the States after an extended "honeymoon" in Europe. More likely they wanted to escape the gossip surrounding their marriage. JJ is more than thirty years older than his young bride. So you can imagine the scandal. I feel for them. High society has been agog over the whirlwind courtship between George and I. Some people! Poor Madeline kept sneaking little white pills. Must be her "delicate condition." One that should be over with in four or five months, I would guess.

A server handed us a glass of pink champagne and appetizers. On tonight's menu: Hors d'Oeuvre Varie's White Star Ahi Tuna.

Also in attendance were William Ernest Carter from Pennsylvania and his lovely wife Lucille Polk Carter. Mr. Carter was generous enough to allow one of my containers to be stored with his eight horses. He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about the White Star Line's use of Mr. Carnegie's steel for the Titanic and not his. Mrs. Carter's fashion sense was in full force that night. Her lovely jewelry, a gift from her husband, drew lots of oohs and ahs.

We also met the entertaining Colonel Gracie from New York. He shared stories and hit it off with George with their talk about the New York Yacht clup and sailing. Mrs. Molly Brown from Colorado was also there. A wealthy widow, she definitely drew the attentions of the charming colonel.

I wasn't sure what to make of Mr. Jacques Furtrelle, a novelist from New York, or his wife, Lilly May Peel Futrelle. Mrs. Futrelle's glass was never empty. Her servant told one of my eight servants that her mistress had brought five cases of vodka with her. Five! Was she worried the ship would run out? No doubt she was not aware of the White Star Lines' reputation! Mr. Futrelle kept asking me with questions about my marriage to George. He also wanted to know about the Egyptian mummy I was bringing with me.

His curiosity bordered on pestering and I was relieved when the server brought our next course: a cup of Windsor Broth.

The gentlemen retreated to the deck to enjoy cigars provided by John Jacob Astor. JJ also kept pulling out a deck of cards. For a moment I wondered whether George and he would stick around for dinner.

A bell rang and we were led into the dining room. We were seated at the Captain's table. Captain Smith was so delightful telling us all about his magnificent ship.

We were served Grilled Salmon with Mousseline Sauce and Cucumber Fans.

I sat between George and Mr. Futrelle, who continued his questioning. When the question of the mummy was brought up again, everyone agreed that the curse associated with it was total superstition. All agreed that those deaths during the Egyptian expedition I financed were simply coincidence. Thank goodness. I would have hated to go into a lengthy and scholarly discussion during such a fine meal. George simply agreed with whatever I said. I have totally captivated the poor fool. Between you and me, my marriage to him was a mere convenience to provide passage for my mummy, but he has starting to grow on me a little. Perhaps I shall keep him.

Our next course was served: Roasted Beef Fillets, Chateau Potatoes and Minted Green Pea Timbales. The crew kept our wine glasses full, changing from the dry white to a red to go with the main course.

Conversation flowed easily. Politics and fashion. Where to stay in New York (JJ owns three hotels there). Where we'd all been traveling in Europe. Many had passed through the Riveria. A few eyebrows raised at Mr. Guggenheim's travelling female companion who was not his wife.

Next something strange happened. We heard an odd scraping sound. The crystals on the chandelier clinked. A few moments later a member of the crew said the captain was needed for a moment.

Minted Lime Sorbet was served.

The captain finally returned. He said there was an incident, but it was nothing to worry about. Of course not. We were on the Titanic! The unsinkable ship. Nothing to worry about at all.

Asparagus Salad with Champagne-Saffron Vinaigrette was served next.

The captain disappeared again. Suddenly we saw flares being shot off the deck. The crew assured us there was nothing to worry about.

After dinner, we were led to The Verandah Cafe for dessert: Lemon Chiffon Ice Torte. We noticed the table was uneven, leaning to one side. Again we were assured nothing was wrong, but no one could explain the flares. One of the crew mentioned something about trying to contact a nearby ship, The Californian.

Assorted fresh fruits, Cheshire, Stilton, Triple Cream Cheeses along with Brandy, Port and Cordials were then served. Soon we were asked to go on deck where we found ice. Ice! The ship had brushed an iceberg. We were assured all was well. The chilly air made me shiver so George gave me his jacket to wear. The men lit up cigars while the band played. The crew continued to fill glasses.

When the call to the lifeboats came, George and I climbed onboard as did the Carters. Others from our lovely dinner weren't so lucky. John Jacob Astor and Jacques Futrelle did not make it off the ship, however, their wives survived. As soon as we were safely on the Carpathia, many blamed my cursed mummy for the misfortune that had befallen the Titanic's maiden voyage. I, however, blamed man's pride and arrogance. Really, who could ever believe a ship made of steel could be unsinkable?


For pictures of the evening see posts for 4/21 and 4/23.