Monday, April 09, 2007

White outs and Face Plants

What do I say about today? It was a real mixed bag sort of day. There was more than an inch and half of new snow. Some of the runs were a mix of wind blown powder and ice. Others were sweet powder. And I haven't taken so many wipe outs in years, but it was still fun. The two older kidlets had a blast, even with the high winds (25-40 mph) and white out conditions, and Finn told me had thirteen face plants. I hope he was exagerating!

The youngest, however, had a miserable time. I thought there would be blue sky and sunshine for a perfect Spring skiing day to put her on skis for the first time, not wind and snow all day long. She cried. They called us. She stopped crying. By the time we got from the other side of the hill to her she was crying again. We finally gave up after lunch. I sat with her in the car and wrote on my alphie while she napped. The conditions had gotten really bad by then so I didn't miss much.

We're going to see what the weather is like tomorrow and maybe try her in ski school again. The kids will be back up there for sure. Hubby and I will have to flip a coin if ski school is out or maybe do a split shift. Here are some pics from today:

Hardly anyone was on the mountain. When we were on the Outback chair and runs, we saw only one other skier and the lift operator. The wind was howling, at times you couldn't see, and you'd go from powder to ice in a split second. See below for one of my wipe outs.




A rare photo of my two oldest with their ski instructor. Since you can't really see them, I figured it was safe to post. Their instructor was named Tom and he was awesome. Took them on their fave run Dilly Dally Alley. He had them going on jumps and taught them how to ski in powder. That's a lesson I need!



Face plant time. Sorry for the quality, but hubby was way downhill from me when this occurred. It was a double release, meaning I lost both skis. One was hard to find in all the snow! Picture snow falling and the wind ripping and me face first in the snow. At least it was soft, like falling onto a bed of feathers. Except colder.


Here I am with frozen hair, looking a lot worse for the wear. This pic was taken after a killer run. Killer in that I'm surprised I made it down in one piece. I haven't skied so much powder in over thirteen years.

So how was your day?