Sunday, January 14, 2007

Birthday Day Recap

Yesterday was a fun, but full day.

The oldest kidlets had a swim meet. Both placed first in a race, but Finn blew everyone away in his individual freestyle and his freestyle relay leg. This was a kid, who last year had to drop out before the first meet because he just couldn't make it 25 yards without holding onto to the lane ropes.

One of his coaches came up to hubby and wanted to know what had gotten into the kid and where he'd come up with that stroke. Someone behind me heard me cheering and told me his time. This meant nothing to me, since I know nothing about swimming competitively, so she explained he had cut seconds off his qualifying time and would now be grouped with the fastest swimmers. A good thing, I guess. Hubby was all smiles.

After the meet, I asked Finn about his swimming so fast. "It's Rose's birthday, Mommy," he said, smiling. "I wanted to win a ribbon for her."

My heart melted. Such a good big brother. A hero in the making!

After swimming, we had dinner at Joe's Crab Shack. The birthday girl's choice. Then we went home for cake (chocolate with pink icing) and presents. Next week is her birthday party with friends. A princess tea party. I managed to get the invites out on Monday, but that's all I've done so far. Better get on that!

I finally got some writing done once the kidlets were in bed. Considering in two weeks I want to be skiing on Mt. Bachelor, I've really got to get writing.

Today should be a more productive writing day. The entire family is at swim practice. When they get back, we'll attend Mass and then I'll spend the rest of the day in my cave.

Please think pages, pages, pages. Virtual chocolate appreciated, too!