Sunday, January 07, 2007

Kids and pets

There's something I don't get about kids or cats. Offer them food, and they aren't interested in even tasting it. Put that same food on your own plate, and everyone wants a taste.

The other morning it was scrambled eggs. Hubby doesn't like them so I'm the only one who eats them. By the time I got around to my breakfast, the littlest one was hungry for her snack. She wasn't interested in the red peppers on the plate, but wanted a taste of the yellow stuff even though she'd never wanted to try them before. She loved the eggs. Couldn't get enough of them. That meant my breakfast consisted mainly of red peppers.

My gray cat, Spirit, is the same way. She only wants to eat what I'm eating. Forget whether or not it's food a cat should want to eat or not. Mommy's food = Spirit's food. She also likes to drink water from my glass, something hubby has a real problem with. We've finally gotten her to skip my glass and drink out of a saucepan we put on the hearth. Note "pan" not "bowl." I really don't think Spirit realizes she's a cat.

Good thing because the kidlets, in their quest for a dog, have decided that Spirit is now a dog. So what if for all biological purposes Spirit is in actuality a cat? They've now got the "dog" they've been dreaming about. Gotta give them points for going after what they wanted. Their "dog" barks (when she's unhappy about something she really does bark), meets us at the door when we come home, cries for attention, begs for table scraps and never leaves our sides when we're home. At least this "doggy" uses a liter box. Hubby's very pleased about the turn of events!

I love my cats, but I still want a dog. When I was younger I wanted a wolf-hybrid so bad. I imagined us hiking through the woods, skiing, going on all sorts of adventures together. Today I saw a post about someone who was giving a wolf-hybrid away. It was the cutest thing you've ever seen. When I mentioned it to hubby he stared at me as if I'd lost my mind. I told him I didn't ask him if we could have the dog, I just wanted to tell him about it. He fell back on his standard line, "If we're going to get a puppy, we might as well have another baby."

You see, the first time I asked if we could get a dog was just after we'd moved to Oregon from the SF Bay Area. We'd purchased a cute little cottage in the heart of Lake Oswego and I was ready to add something furry and cuddly to our family of two. Hubby said we weren't ready for a dog so we got our two furbabies Rocket and Spirit instead. Of course, a couple of week later I found out I was pregnant with the eldest kidlet. All I could think is he doesn't think we can handle a dog, but we're having a baby???

Anyway getting a pup is on hold for now. Probably a good thing with all the deadlines.

Speaking of which, the kidlets spent the night at my parents' house so we could attend our church's Epiphany dinner and auction. That meant sleeping in late this morning! Since I'm kid free for a few more hours, I better get working on the book.

Hope you're having a fun weekend!